Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Rebel WITH a Cause

When it comes to the kitchen and recipes, I rarely follow the rules. So to anyone who hasn't yet picked up a wooden spoon or spatula, for fear of doing it wrong. Don't worry you CAN break the rules.

If I'm baking, ok who am I kidding, really never do I measure exactly (go ahead give me a big sigh and shake your head.) I never worry if I have ALL the ingredients as I tend to substitute anyway. Sometimes I mix the dry and wet all at one time instead of alternating (usually doesn't mess it up!). You get the picture right. I tend to walk to the beat of a different kitchen drum and I think most of the time, it all turns out ok!

This past weekend I needed an accessory for our roast dinner. I had an afternoon that was quiet, so I spent the day reading cooking blogs looking for something new. A secret pleasure of mine! As always, while on the web, I found the perfect complement to our dinner. Cheddar Black Pepper Biscuits from Joy the baker .



You guessed it, I didn't follow the rules and substituted ingredients and I didn't use a biscuit cutter! Mostly because I didn't have sharp cheddar on hand and I rarely use shortening so didn't have that either. However this recipe does call for cream of tarter which I know big S will be happy to see me using. (It is the one spice that I seem to have umpteen jars of)
BTW - Does anyone else have 10 jars that random spice?
How does this happen? 
I blame my collection of cream of tarter on the home-made play dough days.  
Anyway, I digress...back to biscuits

The big S had been watching football afternoon so after I rolled out the dough and went to grab the biscuit cutter I remembered the collection of football cookie cutters I just got and had yet to use. You guessed it...I decided helmet shaped biscuits would be fun. :) I know only us women can understand the goofy stuff...big S just said mmmm, they also look like brains or pork chops.
REALLY???? brains? oh well, I love him anyway.


Here they are:
adapted from Joy the baker:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 TBS sugar
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cream of tarter
3/4 tsp salt
12 TBS butter (1 1/2 sticks) cut in small squares
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk + 1 TBS
1/2 cup shredded colby jack
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
black pepper and dash of cream for the tops

This recipe is simple and gets big pay out in the flavor department.
Pre-heat oven 425`. Mix all dry ingredients in mixing bowl. With the paddle attachment cut the butter into dry ingredients. This just means put in the butter and let the mixer beat until you have a crumb mixture. Add the cheese and black pepper and mix until well blended. Whisk buttermilk with egg and pour into dough. Use he dough hook attachment to knead the dough about 2 minutes. You may need a dash more milk because of the added cheese. Turn the soft dough ball out onto a floured surface and roll until its about 1 inch thick.
Use a biscuit cutter or like me, a cookie cutter to cut your biscuits.
  Brush tops with cream and black pepper. Put on ungreased baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes.

These biscuits are sooo easy, they make the kitchen smell scrumptious and add the right amount of carbiliciousness to any meal. They bake up beautifully and would definitely impress anyone you have over for dinner.

Next time I will probably try all parm or maybe even romano. I think the extra sharp bite will meld with the bite of the black pepper. I could just use sharp cheddar, but that would be like following the rules, Right?

So go ahead, try some baking. I have faith in you and don't worry....breaking the rules is perfectly acceptable.

2 comments:

  1. These are awesome. I love that you included whole wheat flour!
    Great idea with the cookie cutter to make them extra special.

    ReplyDelete